Night vision goggles are the essential devices that support activities happening in the dark. You can use it for hunting, night observing, or driving.
But you have difficulties in choosing the best night vision goggles as there are many recommendations on the website.
The good news is that reading the information below will help you find the most suitable goggles or maybe the perfect alternative (in case you’ve got some intentions).
Table of Contents
3 Features Of Night Vision Goggles You Need To Consider
On the website, you’ll notice that night vision goggles are often classified by generations. Up to now, there are four-night vision types that have different techniques applied to produce goggles.
- Gen 1: It’s the entry-level technology that was established in the early 1960s. These goggles lack battery life and longevity. Its resolution is the lowest of all the gen, that is why the image seems to look distorted through the glass. Anyway, most gen 1 devices are night vision goggles under 500$ that fit the requirements of freshers.
- Gen 2: It has advanced technology which is a big step up from Gen 1 devices. The life expectancy of Gen 2 goggles is three times longer than Gen 1 and its visibility is also extended up to about 200 yards. The new feature comes up with distortion control that helps image cleaner and brighter. To sum up, these goggles are the best choices for hunters and shooters. Because of the entirely different quality level, it requires you to train yourself carefully before using it.
- Gen 3: All devices of Gen 3 are applied with state-of-the-art technology. As the gold standard in the industry, these goggles provide the best resolution and longest range (about 300 yards) that complement perfectly for low-light performances. Due to its significant improvement, Gen 3 devices are all quite expensive and used primarily for military and rescue applications. What if you take a fancy to Gen 3 products? It’s all right. Read on to find out the best night vision goggles under $1000.
- Gen 4: There is a lot of controversy going on to find out whether there are actually Gen 4 devices on the market. Some people argued that the products with improved image intensifier tubes are the beginning of this era. Thanks to this upgrade, intensifier tubes aren’t affected by daylight under any circumstances.
2. Optical or Digital
Based on how night vision goggles work, they are divided into two groups: Optical or Digital.
Most goggles from four generations are categorized into groups of optical devices. Their principle of operation is developed on boosting light.
Firstly, light that is made of photons from all colors goes through a light-sensitive surface then converts into electrons. The electrons are amplified and continue to hit the phosphor screen. As a result, the image is brighter through the glass.
The second group – Digital devices are goggles that have light processing electronics and LCDs instead of image intensifier tubes. This technology is not yet popular but definitely, the industry can come up with breakthroughs soon.
3. Thermal or Enhanced
Night vision goggles relying on emitted light to work are called thermal devices. To be specific, they create images by seeing the differences in temperature from the target. Accordingly, you can also use it at any time of the day.
Groups of goggles that use IR rays to create images are considered enhanced devices. The best part of this technology is that your visibility is always in good condition despite the lack of ambient light.
Additional Night Vision Goggles Feature Considerations
1. IR Illuminator
In fact, most night vision goggles have built-in illuminators. They help to offer observers better and further vision. In conclusion, an IR illuminator can be used as a flashlight in dark surroundings.
The higher the generation is, the longer the battery usage lasts.
Using a high-quality battery will help prolong the life of the device and avoid some unexpected situations.
3. Power Source
There are two types of power sources for your night vision goggles: AA batteries or CR123 batteries. In case you go out for a long time, you can equip yourself with an attachable battery pack to use more energy.
This is the maximum distance that your night vision goggle can provide a clear view of the image you’re observing. Picking up on the story then, Gen 1 has the shortest range.
There are some factors affecting range:
- Size of objection
- The availability of ambient light
5. Auto Gating
This feature is designed to automatically modify the setting of your night vision goggle to avoid some interference. It supports night-time explorers to experience better imaging in case of sudden light-change situations.
5 Best Night Vision Goggles For The Money
- GTHUNDER Digital Night Vision Goggles
- EyeClops Night Vision Infrared Stealth Goggles
- Armasight NYX-7 PRO IDi
- GlassOwl Infrared Night Vision Goggles
- Rexing B1 Night Vision Goggles
It may take you a long time to choose the best night vision goggles as there are so many features you need to consider.
Anyway, wish you get some useful information after reading the whole article and can come up with your favorite device soon.