If you are still new to hammock camping, you might be wondering about how you can use hammock straps to mount your hammock. The truth of that matter is that there are various types of hammock straps and they function differently.
However, the good news is that if you properly follow the instructions, hammock straps are easy to use.
Hammock Strap Instructions
The instructions for mounting hammock straps are quite easy to follow. In a few steps, then you are done and can relax in your hammock.
- Wrap the straps around a tree
- You then put the end consisting of anchor points through the loop that is found on the opposite end
- Tighten the strap around the tree by pulling the end that has anchor points
- Snap the hammock carabiner when that into any of the anchor points when you are certain that the straps are firmly tight around the tree.
While these are the basic instructions for mounting hammocks on trees, you must know that there are different types of hammock straps.
1. Eco-friendly Straps
These straps are easy to use but the only challenge is that they are heavy and they consist of metal pieces against metal which makes noise.
However, they can act as both a suspension line and anchor point since they are long.
- Start with stitched loop an make sure it facing toward the hammock or just inwards
- Tie the metal loop around the tree so it passes the stitched loop
- Wrap the strap around the tree but in the opposite direction
- Adjust the strap to the desired length for suspension
- Attach the S hook to the metal loop and continuous loop at the end of the hammock
- Go to the other side and repeat the process then you are done
2. Long Straps With Two Loops
The two loops found on these straps have three lines of stitches and they are easy to use. You can either use a loop alone or a carabiner.
- The stitched loops should face inwards toward the hammock
- Hold the loop and tightly wrap the strap around the tree until you have the desired length
- Pass the suspension side into the loop that you are holding and pull it tightly
- Attach the hook or carabiner to the suspension at the end of the hammock
- Once you repeat the same process on the other end, you can relax in your hammock
- You must hold the loop with stitches toward the hammock
- Wrap the strap around the tree only once then feed it through the loop and pull tight
- Insert a toggle after tying a marlin-spike
- Hang the end loops of the hammock around the marlin-spike
- After repeating the same process, then you are done
- Do this on each strap
- It is imperative to first test the hammock by sitting before you lie inside
3. Using Short Straps With Two Loops
The straps can only wrap around the tree once and they are easy to create an anchor point.
You then feed the loop through each other while at the same time tightly pulling them to make sure they face the hammock.
4. Hammock With Easily Adjustable Straps
You can use the straps with a carabiner but follow the simple steps below:
- Start by wrapping the strap around the tree
- You must then attach the end comprising of all loops through the end without loops then pull it tight
- Clip the carabiner to the end of loops on your hammock and the loop that is on the strap after doing this on both sides, you are done
Ensure Strap Safety
When you are setting your hammock straps, always make sure that you take safety measures first.
Check all the straps are tight on all posts and you should also sit on the hammock first before laying inside it to ensure that it is balanced.
After every use of the hammock, you should inspect the straps to check if they are still in good condition.
You should also inspect the stitching of the straps on the hammock to ensure that they are still in good condition to ensure your safety.
Hammock straps usually consist of three lines of stitches so if you notice that one line is off, you better replace your straps quickly.
Hammock straps are not that expensive so you should not sacrifice your safety over something that you can easily afford.
Over and above, hammock straps are quite easy to use as long as you follow the instructions carefully.
There are different types of hammock straps as well as methods of using them so you can choose the appropriate one that suits your needs.